This is two-story gabled craftsman style home with a four-bay detached garage. Originally, the property also included a carriage house with a single horse stall located to the north east, for which the sunken roadbed from Stanley Avenue is still visible. The 3,245 square foot house is situated on a .85 acre lot and was constructed in 1914 for William M. and Elizabeth Caldwell. William Caldwell was on of the owners of Crawford, Caldwell, and Campbell Hardware store, a prominent business in downtown Maryville.
Ownership of the home passed to their son Harry H. Caldwell and remained in the Caldwell family until the home was sold in 1976 by Mildred Caldwell (widow of Harry) to Annabelle Libby who moved from Cincinnati to take an administrative position at Maryville College. Annabelle sold the house to Nan and Tom Taylor in 1998 when upkeep of such a large home began become a burden to her. Except her for enclosing a portion of the back porch for an addition to the master bedroom and minor remodeling, the floor plan of the four bedrooms, two and a half bath house has remained unchanged. The original water closet on the second story has been closed but the sleeping porch with sliding windows on the three sides has been retained. The home has three fireplaces and a closed chimney with stove pipe openings in the kitchen and upstairs office. A canvas awning covering the sidewalk between the back door and the driveway was dismantled in the 1960’s.